Smells and Feels like Fall.
Winter squash come in many varieties and each store very well. This simple recipe can be prepared ahead of time and served hot to your holiday guests. The squash can be cooked ahead of time, filling prepared, and refrigerate up to two days ahead. Assemble, cook and serve. Viola!
- 4 (1-pound) golden nugget squashes
- Cooking spray
- 2 (4-ounce) links hot turkey Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded 2% reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese, divided